GKrellDnet - a Distributed.net client monitor plugin for GKrellM
GKrellDnet is a Distributed.net client monitor
plugin for GKrellM. I wrote this plugin because there
are many such apps for Seti@Home client
but none for Distributed.net ...
- a Linux or FreeBSD system.
It could work on other BSD variant but I have not tested it.
- a working distributed.net client.
- GKrellM (2.0 or better) the great multi-monitor application.
- libmicrohttpd (optional) for the dnetw built-in web server.
- Support the new absolute crunch-o-meter style. Nice for OGR contest (fig. 2)
- Support new Distributed.net client (v2.8011 and up).
- Configurable command launched on every packet completion (suggested by Ari Pollak).
- Configurable text output format.
- Monitor current contest, work units in input/output buffers and progress in current block/stub.
- Start/Stop the dnet client on mouse button click.
- Support for multi-processors system (up to 10 CPU).
- Built-in web server in dnetw (optional). This make it easier to read current crunch-o-meter value from other apps.
Warning: Starting from v0.8, the monitor file is no longer used.
Starting from v0.9, the dnetw command line is no longer compatible with
previous version. You need to remove the argument from your
command line. If you start dnetw from the GKrellDnet plugin no change is need.
In fig. 1, you can see the plugin running (above CPU chart).
The client is working on a OGR stub, 36% is already done and there is 1 work unit in the input buffer and 0 in the output buffer.
Fig. 2 shows the new absolute mode, 73.94 Gnodes is already done in the current OGR stub.
Here is a screenshot (17k) of my GkrellDnet config.
The lastest stable version is GKrellDnet 0.15 (ChangeLog).
Source code available on GitHub.
How to use
- Copy the client wrapper 'dnetw' somewhere in your path. The Distributed.net client 'dnetc' must also be in your path.
- Check that the client do not redirect output to a file. If you want to log the client activity you should use the
'-l' option of the wrapper.
- Try the wrapper from the shell, type 'dnetw dnetw.log' and you must get the standard client output.
- Copy the GKrellM plugin either in the system wide plugin directory or in your personnal plugin directory (~/.gkrellm/plugins/).
- Look at 'Info' tab in the plugin configuration for more info about the plugin settings.
More detail available here.
- Q: When I try to run 'dnetw' I get the message: "shmget: File exists" ?
- That means that 'dnetw' can't create his shared memory segment. First check that there is no other 'dnetw' running.
You can only run one 'dnetw'. Then check that the file '/tmp/dnetw-shmid' do not exist. You can remove it only if
there is no 'dnetw' running. If the previous conditions are meet and you are using GKrellDnet v0.9 or less, please
upgrade to GKrellDnet v0.10 or better.
- support for other Unix systems (NetBSD, OpenBSD, OSX, ...). As I don't have access to those systems, please contact me
if you want to help me. You don't need to be a C expert.
- support the new 'live-rate' style crunch-o-meter.
- add multiple local/remote clients monitoring.
- add perproxy monitoring ?
Copyright (c) 2000-2012 by Laurent Papier. This program is free software
which I release under the GNU General Public License.
- Sat Nov 17, 2012.